Gedächtnisprotokoll SoSe22

• Hallo,

hier sind alle Fragen, an dich ich mich aus meiner Prüfung erinnern kann.

• On a piece of paper, draw the development of the aviation market since its start. Chose the time span on the x-axis and the metric for the y-axis. For the y-axis I chose RPK and for the time span 1950-now. Mention the bumps (recession, 9/11, Covid). He also wanted to know how the market has behaved in general (exponential growth) and what shapes the Covid pandemic could have made in the market (U-, V-, L- shape), which shape is it (V) and where Covid is hitting hardest for the aviation market (China, zero Covid strategy)
    • On a piece of paper, draw the System of Systems (Passenger, Airlines, Aircraft, Airport, ATC, Regulation) and briefly explain
    • On a piece of paper, draw the significant aviation markets (North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Middle East, Asia Pacific), roughly to scale of the market size. Europe and NA roughly equal market size, Asia fastest growing
    • What properties can a system have (open/closed, dynamic/stationary, hierarchical) and a non aviation example
    • Question about development: revolution, evolution, incremental
    • Planing of new routes, what happens when (10y before the route, 1y, 6mo, day of ops)
    • When an airline decides on buying new aircraft, what do they look for. (Fleet commonality, fuel efficiency, maintenance costs, ...). What Dr. Schiefele specifically wanted to hear was the price per seat (and maybe per mile, but most importantly per seat). That's the main decision factor.
    • What types of passenger groups are there (leisure, business, first class, NetJets), what do they want and what do they all have in common (safety is top priority and get from A to B)
    • What are the deciding factors when buying a ticket (safety of the airline, price, on time performance)

The exam atmosphere was relaxed and friendly as always. Hope this helps and good luck :)

• In addition to notes of Vhatles I summarized the questions that were asked at my exams and that I can remember:

• Give an example of a system of a system
    • draw and explain the aviation system, how and why are the subsystems connected
    • how did the aviation industry develop, how are the growth rates, how did corona affect the aviation
    • How does the markets look like in the world, how big are they and how are they developing
    • What kinds of passengers are there, what are their needs
    • How did the Airline services inside of the cabin look like in the past (like 50s), how did it changed and what were the reasons for that. How do airlines try to distinguish from each other inside of the cabin including services
    • Name two freedoms of they air, why are they needed and not done bilateral, what is spacial about the EU and the Brexit
    • Draw the model of the regulations, ATC, incident agency and explain it
    • How does the registration/ certification of an aircraft work. Where do the airlines go. What changed after the 737 max crisis.
    • Name the major costs for an airline, how do they try to reduce them, explain the airlines considerations of getting new aircraft
    • What lead to the Teneriffe accident, name the reasons, what changed, mention the swiss chess model
    • Explain the current trubles at the airports and why do we have this issues -> current topiv of to less staff, Lufthansa did prepare their businesses for a L-shape recovery but is a v-recovery.

Generally I think it is worth to mention and explain some keywords for answering, which may be not directly related to the main question to show, that you have a broad knowledge about the topics of the lecture. But of course you should be able to explain what you use in your answers, espacialy ANSP. Also do not miss up the definitions, there will be more detailed questions about that topic then.

The atmosphere was really relaxed, felt more like a discussion of aviation interested persons. Help for answering questions were given if needed. Their might be questions about current aviation issues in your exam, so I would recommend to read aviation news.